We’re one day away from the end of the year and like many business owners I’ve been working on my profit plan for next year. However, I couldn’t help but pause and reflect on the lessons that lead to more than 500% revenue growth in my business this year. And yes, my profits were in the black! If I had to give this year a theme it would clearly be, “do whatever it takes”.
This past year makes me think of the training I go through for each of my half marathons. Some days are easier than others but if you’re going to do and have what you’ve never done or had before then you must do whatever it takes. Not just once but over and over again. It’s in those moments that you discover what you’re really made of and experience your biggest wins!
So what did I learn this past year while building a business that once only existed in my dreams? Below are my top 7 lessons learned in 2014.
- Don’t try to do it all. Hire a team and more importantly, let them do what you hired them to do.
- Set monthly goals. Focus on them and only do the things that support your goals. Everything else is a distraction.
- Celebrate your wins and successes, no matter how big or small. A win is a win.
- Don’t let fear, doubt and discomfort stop you from increasing your fees and making sure your clients have access to the resources they need to be profitable.
- Take care of yourself. Rest, pray, eat well, and workout.
- Stay in touch with potential clients. The results are in the follow up.
- Everyone has a story. Don’t let their story keep you from offering a solution to their challenges. In other words, don’t be afraid to ask for the money!
What lessons did you learn in 2014?