My heart would start racing and my stomach would get all woozy when I would make a sales call. This was not my idea of fun. Eventually, the uneasy feeling subsided and my business started to grow at rates I’d dreamed of.
So what happened to cause such a big shift in my business? It started with the conversation I was having in my head. I could have countless sales conversations but at the end of the day the most important sales conversation I’d have would be the one I had with myself.
This will be true for you in your business too. The conversation you’re having with yourself before meeting with a prospect, in person or over the phone is directly tied to your business’ bottom line. This is the most important conversation you’ll have each and every day. If others could hear that conversation, would it be positive or negative?
To change the results you’re getting in your business, you’ll need to shift the conversation you’re having with yourself. Now, when you’re ready to get on the phone below are a few tips to help you be more powerful and profitable.
Here’s 7 tips for a successful sales conversation:
- Do your research. Find out as much as you can about the prospect before getting on the phone. The more you know, the better the conversation will go.
- Smile before the call and during the call. It can be heard and felt in your voice.
- Focus on connecting with the prospect first before selling.
- Create a sales binder. Include your sales script, product and/or service offerings, your fee schedule and any special offers. Stick to the script and you won’t get caught in the “story” when it’s time to ask for the money.
- If the prospect doesn’t buy, call the next person on the list until you get your yes!
- Follow up, follow up, follow up. Send an email to thank them for their time, include a helpful resource and make sure you continue to nurture the relationship.
- Be consistent. Set a weekly call goal, plan a time to make your calls and then pick up the phone.