I used to get really uncomfortable when I had to pick up the phone to make a sales call. My heart would start racing and my stomach would get all woozy. This was not my idea of fun. Then I started talking to myself and employing some of the strategies I learned from my coach and Brian Tracy’s, “The Psychology of Selling”. Eventually, the uneasy feeling went away and my business started to grow at rates I’d only experienced in my dreams.
So what happened to cause such a big shift in my business? It started with the conversation I was having with myself. My coach provided a proven process and strategy for me to follow. However, what I said to myself before those calls made a world of difference. It wasn’t enough for me to follow the process I needed to believe in myself. I could have countless sales conversations but at the end of the day the most important sales conversation I’d have would be the one I had with myself.
This will be true for you in your business too. The conversation you have with yourself is directly tied to your bottom line. This is the most important conversation you’ll have each and every day. If others could hear that conversation, would it be positive or negative in nature? Those words whether positive or negative have a way of showing up as your reality.
Here’s 5 tips for a successful sales conversation:
- Smile before and during the call. It can be heard in your words and felt in your tone of voice.
- Focus on connecting with the prospect first before selling.
- If they don’t buy, call the next person on the list until you get your yes!
- Send a follow up email. Thank them for their time and include a helpful resource, article or tool.
- Be consistent. Plan a time to do these calls each month and then do the work!